Sales & Use Tax
Sales & Use Tax Attorney in Beverly Hills
Helping Clients with Their Sales & Use Tax Needs
When sales tax errors or issues arise, it can be very costly for taxpayers. This is especially true for those who fail to maintain sufficient records. When you find yourself in danger of a sales tax redetermination, audit, or revocation of your seller’s permit, Greenberg Bitton LLP is here to help you resolve your issue.
Contact our Beverly Hills Sales and use tax lawyers at (877) 829-5294 to learn more about how we can help.
Sales & Use Tax in Beverly Hills
What is Sales & Use Tax?
In California, retailers that are engaged in business are required to register with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA).
They must pay the following:
- State Sales Tax: on all retail sales of goods and merchandise that are not specifically exempted by law.
- Use Tax: For those goods purchased in transactions that are not subject to the sales tax, there is generally a corresponding use tax that is imposed for the use, storage, or other consumption of the goods. The use tax may also apply to out-of-state purchases that are made by those residing in California via the Internet, telephone, or mail order.
Both the sales and use tax are used to provide revenue to the state, county, and city governments.
Handling a Sales & Use Tax Audit
If you have been selected for this type of audit, it is important to obtain advice and counsel from an experienced legal professional. Doing so can help you be prepared for when you interact with the auditors, as well as avoid common mistakes when answering the auditors’ questions.
Knowing what to expect during an audit is the first step to successfully handling it.
When the CDTFA conducts a sales tax audit, it generally involves comparing:
- The total sales the taxpayer recorded to the overall sales reported on the taxpayer’s sales tax returns
- The total sales the taxpayer recorded to the overall sales on the taxpayer’s income tax returns
- The sales tax reimbursement the taxpayer collected as compared to the sales tax reported on the returns
- The claimed exempt sales to corresponding invoices and resale certificates
Most issues arise from insufficient record keeping. When you reach out to Greenberg Bitton LLP, we can advise you on the adequacy of your records and, if necessary, help you understand how to go about reconstructing your records.
Our Differentiating Principles
Effective representation and communication are improbable when overburdened with clients. Calls go unanswered and unreturned, and clients end up feeling frustrated and abandoned. Our firm never overloads our attorneys. Our clients deserve excellent representation and consistent communication.
Honesty and Integrity
Our firm will give you an honest assessment of your legal needs. Our approach is to help educate potential clients so that they can resolve simple matters on their own. If your matter can be resolved with one phone call, we will tell you.
Competitive Legal Fees
We believe in transparent pricing and aim to provide legal representation for a competitive, fixed fee whenever feasible. Call us today for a proposal regarding your legal matter.
Multifaceted Experience and Approach
Our attorneys have extensive experience in their respective practices, and work together to bring our clients a comprehensive solution to their legal needs.
Our Reputation Precedes Us*
“Long story short GBLLP are the
- Ryal L.
“Professional and detailed.”
- David J.
“Took the time to listen to my
situation and even told me exactly
what I should do to resolve the
problem on my own.”
- Konstantin K.